A Simple Bridal Garter
1. Using the tape, measure the part of your leg where you want the garter to sit (around the knee is a nice, comfortable place). Cut a length of unstretched elastic the length of this measurement. Cut a length of flat lace and a length of ribbon that measures three times the length of the unstretched elastic.
2. Pin the ribbon down on the lace lengthwise, approximately 1/2
inch from the top (less if you are using narrower lace, more if you are
using wider lace). Using a sewing machine or needle and thread, stitch
the ribbon to the lace as close to each edge of the ribbon as possible.
This will form a casing for the elastic. (Note: diagram is not to
3. Attach the bodkin or safety pin to one end of the elastic.
Thread the elastic through
4. To finish the garter, pin the ends of the piece with right sides (ribbon side!) together, making sure that the ribbon ends and elastic ends line up. Stitch 1/2 inch away from the edge, making sure you catch the ends of the elastic in the stitching. Trim and finish the raw edges of the seam as desired (pinking, zig-zag, etc.).
5. Use the garter "as is," or decorate it by stitching on the item(s) of your choice. This is where you can really personalize your garter to match your tastes or the theme of your wedding!
Questions or comments? Send me an !
© 1999 Yahoudi